WRLD3D is an equal opportunity employer. We believe diversity leads to strong and creative teams. Recruitment selection is based on objective, job-related criteria, as well as a commitment to diversity. Applicants will be chosen on their merits and abilities.
We are looking for a talented Junior Software Engineer to join our distributed team, working as part of our core engineering team on the WRLD map platform. If you’re excited by the prospect of being at the core of a small and innovative team working on challenging problems in the 3D mapping space, I suggest you read on.
Working at WRLD means you’ll always be doing something interesting, for example: building REST services and web front-ends, tools for processing GIS data, maintaining and extending our streaming and 3D rendering library. Our tight-knit team takes on many kinds of work including design, deployment, maintenance and operation of services, ongoing improvement and extension to our 3D Map SDKs, as well as customer support and bespoke development projects - and of course debugging and fixing issues as they arise!
Don’t worry if you’re not familiar with all of the above - our agile development approach and cross-functional team mean that on-the-job learning and improvement are integral to our day-to-day working lives. A good grounding in the basics of software engineering, ability to learn fast, and a willingness to get stuck in are all you need to succeed here! As a small company, we are always striving for ways to be more effective. We do this through frequent, open communication, tight collaboration between disciplines and an absolute minimum of bureaucracy. There will always be someone there to bounce ideas off and help out if you get stuck!
We think this provides the perfect environment for us to realise our full potential as developers. We are making a place where good people can become great.
Here’s what we expect from successful candidates
These are the must-haves. The core skills you’ll need to be successful in this role.
- A passion for developing high quality software.
- Be extremely self-motivated and thrive in a team environment.
- Fluent in at least one OO language (e.g. TypeScript, Ruby, C++, C#, Java, Python…) and have an understanding of OOD (e.g. design patterns, SOLID).
- Demonstrate an understanding of algorithms, data structures and 3D mathematics.
- Strong problem solving skills along with excellent written and oral communication skills that allow you to solve problems as part of a team.
- Flexible and adaptable, eager to engage with and learn new technologies and roles in an organisation.
Other Requirements: Any offer of employment will be subject to the successful candidate holding the right to work in the UK.
The following are a definite advantage
Don’t sweat it if you haven’t got the full stack - we don’t expect everyone to be an expert in every area!
- Experience of implementing high performance, real time 3D systems such as games or demos.
- Experience of working on iOS/Android platforms.
- Knowledge of graphics techniques and/or computational geometry.
- Knowledge of agile and lean development, Scrum, Kanban, Continuous Integration, Pair Programming, TDD.
- Experience with MVC web development frameworks, particularly Ruby on Rails.
- Experience with MapReduce, Hadoop, EMR, mrjob.
- Experience with C# and .NET.
- Experience with Unity.
- Experience with React.
- Experience with multiple programming languages.
- Basic understanding of Unix system administration.
- Build configuration management and automation (Nant, Rake, CMake etc).
- Experience with mapping tools and technologies such as ArcGIS, QGIS, GDAL, OGR.
- Contributions to open source projects.
- Degree educated in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics or a similar discipline, or have equivalent professional experience.
If some of the requirements above describe you, we want to hear from you!
But what can we offer you?
- Salary up to £35,000 p.a.
- Matched contribution-based pension – up to 5%
- Private health cover
- Life Insurance
- Childcare Vouchers
- Bike Scheme
- 32 days annual leave allowance
- Flexible working hours
And some extras
- ‘Duvet Day’ - for one day a year when you just don’t want to get out of bed!
- 100% remote - no need to be stuck in traffic!
- PC + Mac workstations for home office use
- Weekly ‘Hump Day afternoon’ for self-directed projects
- Daily interaction with friendly colleagues - even though we’re a distributed team!
If you want to work with us on our revolutionary 3D mapping platform, please email email@example.com with a covering letter, CV and (if you’ve already completed it) your solution to our technical exercise.